Sunday, December 4, 2011

Saw-whet Owl Banding

Northern Saw-whet Owls were one of my nemesis birds for quite some time so I was quite excited to find out that there was a saw-whet banding station just twenty minutes from campus. I don't have a car, however, so I had to arrange for someone to pick me up and take me out there. Every time I set something up, the weather was always bad and the banding was cancelled. I was finally able to get out there on the last weekend on banding. On the first two checks the nets were empty but on the third check we found a Saw-whet!
We took it back to the visitor center where we banded it.
The molt pattern on the wing indicated this was a second year bird.
I took several more photos before we were ready to release it.

We were expecting the owl to fly off immediately but the Saw-whet spent several minutes sitting on the railing before finally flying off.

No comments:

Post a Comment