Sunday, May 5, 2013

Black-tailed Godwit

My brother has been complaining about my neglect of my blog lately so I figured I should post something.  In Late March the Black-tailed Godwit which had showed up at Chincoteague NWR last fall reappeared and was showing much more reliably.  One Saturday morning I was able to drive out and see it along with many other shorebirds.

This sharp American Oystercatcher was hanging out with the Willets and Godwits for most of the time I was there.

The Black-tailed Godwit is the bird on the left in this photo.  The white underwings are the key field mark that separates it from the similar Hudsonian Godwit.

The next two photos show how it was slightly smaller and paler overall than the Marbled Godwits in addition to the black tail.


This trip was a nice way to start off the spring with a Code 4 Eurasian vagrant.  Seeing a few Piping Plovers and a wild pony were really nice highlights as well.  Chincoteague is always a fun place to visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment