Monday, July 29, 2013

300 for Michigan!

Seeing 300 species of birds in Michigan has long been a goal of mine and one that finally seemed within reach at the beginning of this summer.  When I returned from school this May my Michigan list stood at 293 and I was able to see this male Eurasian Wigeon on the drive home to bring my list to 294.

Over the next few weeks I was able to add Lark Sparrow, Piping Plover, and Tricolored Heron, bringing my total to 297 at the end of May.
Once June hit, the birding predictably slowed down and the Black-necked Stilt at Shiawassee NWR was my only state bird during the month.

A heard only Western Meadowlark in Berrien county while I was on my way to Indiana finally brought me within one of three hundred.  My chance to get to 300 came just four days later when a Glossy Ibis was reported at Pointe Mouillee.  Unlike many Ibis there, this one stayed in the same small area for several days, making for an easy chase.  Photos proved more difficult, however, since views were usually obstructed by vegetation.  Once it flew to a slightly different spot and I was able to get an ok flight shot.
Although there was little else of note at Mouillee on that hot muggy July day I was thrilled to finally reach 300 after 6 years of birding this great state.


No comments:

Post a Comment