Sunday, April 4, 2010

More Spring Arrivals

With the warm weather we've been having the passerines are starting to return. I heard my first Eastern Phoebe of the year about a week ago and saw one today at Woodland Hills. The highlights of my trip there were two male Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers and two Yellow-rumped Warblers. I did get a few shots of the Sapsuckers but they really don't show just how cool these woodpeckers look.

After I got back from Woodland Hills I found a flock of Golden-crowned Kinglets in my backyard, I think they are the 70th species of bird I have seen in my yard.

The other kinds of Swallows are returning as well, yesterday I saw one Northern Rough-winged Swallow and two Barn Swallows with the Tree Swallows at the American Center Marsh. There were also two Savannah Sparrows in the field north of the marsh, but sadly it looks like they are going to build another office building there. It seems to me that they could just fix up one of the many vacant buildings around here but I guess that would cost more money.

No comments:

Post a Comment