Sunday, January 24, 2010

Beaudette Park

I decided to go out to Beaudette Park this morning despite the rain. I was rewarded with very nice duck variety. There were 8 Canvasbacks, 8 Hooded Mergansers, 4 Ring-necked Ducks, 3 Redheads, 4 Common Goldeneyes, and 4 American Black Ducks in the wide part of the river. Three Wood Ducks, a Belted Kingfisher, and an American Coot were near the boat launch. The highlight of the day was a pair of Trumpeter Swans with some Mute Swans, these are one of my favorite birds and it was really cool to hear them trumpeting for a while before they flew off right by me. Unfortunately it was too rainy to take pictures but here is a picture of some of these ducks that I took at the same location last year.
I also saw a Brown Creeper and a Red-breasted Nuthatch in my yard yesterday morning. This is the first time I have had a Brown Creeper in my yard during the winter, previously I have only had them in migration. Here is a picture I took of one in a nearby park last fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment