Saturday, February 18, 2012

Virginia's Warbler in MD!

Today Jacob Barkett and I chased Maryland's first state record Virginia's Warbler at the Pickering Creek Audubon Center. We arrived at 7:30 and the small parking lot was already nearly full. Despite the forty or so birders searching, the warbler had not been found yet and we spent the next hour an a half searching without success. Just after we had returned to the spot where most the people were searching after we had tried some other spots I heard a strange chip note in the bushes. When I saw a small grayish bird fly out of the bush a little bit later I knew this was probably the bird. I quickly called everyone over and we soon saw the bright yellow undertail coverts and confirmed that it was indeed the Virginia's Warbler! It quickly flitted from bush to bush for the next fifteen or so minutes before disappearing. I was not able to get any photos but Rob Ostrowski has generously allowed me to use one of his.
Virginia's Warbler 2012 Feb 18 Pickering Creek

No comments:

Post a Comment